Sunday, October 10, 2010

Captain's Log: 10/10/10 (Day 23)

     Have you missed me?  I thought so.  I'd like to say I've just been too busy navigating the raging Misssissippi but , while that is true ,if I really soul search I was probably afraid to post something that may have been my last.    Now that I sit safely in a calm marina at Green turtle Bay, Grand Rivers, KY. watching the sun rise over the bay listening to a wonderful Irish sounding tune by our friend Yata I can talk about it.
      Once while rafting the grand canyon, a rafter asked the guide, " will we see big rapids tomorrow?"  The guide, staring without blinking into the rafters eyes said slowly, " YOU WILL SEE GOD" and walked away. Well I did not see god that day but 2 days ago while at the helm of my 42 foot boat under considerable power was spun sideways going down the Mississippi ( at 12 mph) facing the bank with no control and no place to go I believe I cought a glimpse of him\her. I wish I had pictures of that section of the river but it's hard to take pictures while trying to control a boat and wetting youself at the same time. In lieu of that I give you this picture of the Ohio River. Calm, bluegreen slowly flowing. Thank You GOD.
 Only after experiences like that can a "thank you" be as sincere as this one.
This picture is from our safe anchorage in the Little river diversion canal. Just beyond that last boat the mighty Miss. flows on. From that opening just 50 river miles to cross to safer ohio waters. Even so I contemplate living out the rest of my life in the diversion canal. Hum...not so bad. But if I do Dorene will likely leave with that nice blue trawler. Ah the price for love!  The night before a 50 foot diesel trawler got pushed past the opening maybe 50 yards and at full power it took him a 1/2 hour to battle back that 50 yards to the opening.
The 30 miles of Cumberland river to the 57 ft lift of the Barkley lock is a lot like boating on the root river only deeper. (Kristine, the rapids here are just "irritations" compared to the Miss.)
I think these birds were just cooling themselves, or maybe he's a flashing pervert. I don't know, does this count as a mooning? Dorene just seems to attract these guys!
Barkley lock: a 57 ft lock thru to a better gentler river? We hope.
     Another milestone: after 3 days away from land Moka finally gave up and did her business on the swim platform. It was either that or have you ever seen a boston terrier explode?
   I just noticed I am posting this at 10:00 AM. on 10/10/10 .   Have a GREAT day!
   
         

No comments:

Post a Comment