Sunday, September 19, 2010

Captain's log: 9-19-10 (Day 2)

Thanks for the wake up call Susie. I think I corrected the dates but I am a boater not a blogger. Keep me on track. .
     Today , whatever the date is, it is day 2. The good, the bad, and the ...... First the good:  overcast day but no wind, water like glass , a little warmer than yesterday. Must be because we are 51 whole miles farther south. That means we averaged 7.2mph. All and all a good day on the water.
     We went through our first railroad swing bridge near LaCrosse. Just as we were about to follow a bigger boat through the bridge started to swing shut. Hey why are they doing that? I call the bridge guy and he says there is a train coming. Ok ,I can live with that, I'll wait. Bridge guy says it looks like you'll fit. I say I'm about 16+ feet how high is the bridge? He says "about 18 feet but I can't guarantee that. Why don't you just creep up and see"? ...Well I can think of several reasons. Going downstream is one of them, but he's not opening it so........ Dorene said we cleared by a foot . I thought maybe two. Let's not do that again.
     The bad: We think we sucked up some weeds as we went thru our 1st lock today...because shortly after that our exhaust manifold began to overheat.  The GOOD news---is that we were able to alternate engines and limp into Lansing, Iowa for the nite. The better news---is  that our good friend and mechanic Joe talked us thru a preliminary diagnosis.... So, tomorrow we will begin "butt up out of the bilge"....cleaning strainers; hoses and checking water pump impellers.....
....and yes, ONE more eagle pic cause there were TWO (mates) that followed us for a longggg time...not sure if they wanted us to feed them OR just making sure we made it safely!!! ;-)  Thank You!!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG sounds like a bit of excitement for day 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From all of us that don't get to see eagles...we really won't mind seeing all the pictures you have. Bring them on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the two eagles....very cool...:)

    ReplyDelete