Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Captain's log: 4-4-11

      I'm baaaack!   Where have I been? Where am I now? Did you miss me? Answers: Maui, Some campground in Florida (heading north), and ... of course you missed me.
      Sorry I didn't get back here sooner but with putting the boat to bed for the next 6 months and getting the motorcoach loaded and ready to roll we've been pretty busy. So today was our first day on the road with 60+ feet of motorcoach and car hauler or should I call it a train?
 It's kind of like a semi-tractor in reverse (long end in the front and short end in the back) but less manuverable. Pictures of that tomorrow. But first: I'm sure you all want to see what a tsunami  looks like first hand. Yup, second day on Maui and they got hit with the Japan tsunami. I got a great picture of what an actual one looks like. .....Here it is....












Sorry. Not real exciting but that was about it for us. Walked up the hill about a block and slept on the couch of a friend of Sierra and Drew's. In Hawaii, unlike Japan, they had at least 8 hours warning. And unlike tornado warnings in the midwest where everybody hides and waits to die, (ha-ha)..in tsunamis you walk to higher ground and you know you are safe. So no constant adrenalin rush for you thrill seekers out there.
     They did get a surge in maui that tipped over some smaller boats (16-20ft) in the harbor but all of the bigger boats had been taken out to sea earlier. Like the one Sierra works on below.
          Before I start the "wheels" adventure back north I should show you a few highlights from Maui. Sorry I can't show you all 1800 pictures. (that's NOT a joke) Ahh, the wonders of the digital age. Here is a few from the first day.

Dorene with new friend on front street, Lahaina.

Sierra working on the Pacific Whale Foundation's boat. Note the cool dude in the background whale watching!

Whales. dah

Me and my new friend on front street. (3-legged dog)
Oh! I almost forgot...
Dorene, getting leied on first day!        
       She just read this and I just got hit. I couldn't resist. How many times in a life do you get the opportunity for such low humor?
     Next: Maui-Day 2       Welcome back everybody!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment