Thursday, December 16, 2010

Captain's Log: 12/16/10 (Day 90)

Could this be 30 Below's final home port for this leg of the journey? We went from Venice to Gasparilla today. Water color went from creamy blue/green to Mississippi brown back to creamy blue/green. We are within 30 miles of what we thought our final destination (Fort Myers Beach) was going to be for this year.      Hale and Janet met us for supper. Since they also met us at our very first stop in Trempeleau, Wi. back on Sept. 18 we thought it must be an omen that this should be the other end of our adventure. We'll see. It is a beautiful Marina but, we still have about two months before we have to make our way back to Mn./Wi. (by wheels, not water).
Interesting dismanteled railroad bridge near the marina we are at tonight.
This one is for my son. Drew, remember that other life you could have had? The one your dad either ruined or saved you from. The one where you went to work in a suit and tie and dreamed of week-ends for 30 years and then retired. Instead of the one where it's sunny all year, you surf, swim in the ocean, climb mountains, bike the U.S. etc.etc.  Well we passed it today on a canal near Venice. The Jeld Wen window company!  Hey, coulda been you buddy.
      Ok. Those of you reading along with this blog might remember my little description of the various marina showers I have used (or not used) along the way. The Venice showers added a new twist. I was taking a shower this morning when...What was that? Was that a chirp? Was that lightning? Did someone just take my picture? That's kinda creepy. Better get the soap out of my eyes and see what's going on here. Oh, just a fire alarm with flashing lights and lots of noise. Gotta make a decision here. Run outside naked and live or stay inside and burn. Hey, it's a shower, I'm wet , how bad could it be? I compromise and dry off very fast and check for smoke. None.... Poke my head out expecting fire trucks. ...None... so leave calmly. The harbormaster says to me, "They were testing the fire alarm system. Did that get you excited?"  I say, "No.".....What did he mean by that exactly?    Seriously looking forward to my shower in Gasparilla.
      I have another theory on the fire alarm. Down here a 50 year old is a "young buck".... Did I see one of those octogenarian chicks run/walking away from the showers?
                           Relax, it's just a theory.
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment