Sunday, December 5, 2010

captain's log 11-28 thru 12-4-10 ( day 72-79)

OK Sorry. I have been neglecting my posting duties. I just thought that a week in Clearwater describing us doing our laundry would not be that exciting for anyone.
  We left Clearwater Friday Morning. And after a week it feels good to get moving again but, at the same time roots start to grow and a place gets comfortable and it gets harder to leave. Sorry to all my english teachers . I think I just used too many "ands" there.
     Now that we are on the intercoastal again the tides are a little higher 3-4 feet. This results in a tidal current most of the time we are traveling. The "current" thing is hard to get used to because unlike the Mississippi river half the day the current is with you then it's against you.
    So we decided to go to St. Petersburg next. A 35 mile stretch but 4 1/2 hours.  Didn't think much about it before we left but Tampa Bay ended up being almost as rough as the crossing was at some points. The bay is shallow and it doesn't take much wind to whip up some pretty good waves. To make the nerves a little tighter we decided to get lost half way across the bay. I had looked at the chart earlier and decided we needed to turn at red marker "2" and green marker "4".  When we got there Dorene found the markers and we turned. Very shortly the depth went from 15ft. to 4ft. We had to stop and re-evaluate our position. I remind you we are way out in the bay at this time. After rechecking the chart we found they had put another  red "2" and green "4" about another mile further. Who picks these numbers anyway?    The reward?.... a sunrise in a new harbor.
A bonus at this marina was the St. Petersburg boat and sail show was also going on this week-end. Maybe not so good ,you know look at a few million dollar boats and all of a sudden your palace doesn't shine quite so much. Oh well we just added up the fuel bill so far...shouldn't have done that ...ouch!   The cheap old boat is looking a little more shiny again.
Another big bonus ... guess who was at the boat show.  .. Bob "Bitchin" and his wife Jody. What ? You don't know who that is? He's one of the reasons we are on this boat. He publishes the magazine "Lattitudes and Attitudes" which glorifies the boating lifestyle. In his words when we met him. " Ah another life ruined"
    A life ruined? I think we are even I got an autograghed hat. (mine blew overboard)
   
   
H ey, is that a halo over my head? or is that my miners hat?
Proof. It's the magazine guy!!!!    
      Bob hired the Eric Stone Band and gave everyone at the show free pizza and beer. Good time,but I'm tired so write more tomorrow. Goodnite.

1 comment:

  1. I am so envious of you guys right now! Your sunrise shot was fantastic! You are lucky to be cruising; I'll pay attention to the markers in Tampa Bay when we finally get there.
    I got to drive across FL friday to go check on our boat, then back yesterday. I hated leaving the boat, what a beautiful day it was!
    How fun for you to be at the boat show, get to party and meet Bob B! We've read Latt's & Att's for years and now they've bought "Live Aboard" magazine;another great magazine to help you out.

    ReplyDelete